Friday, January 10, 2014

Let's Get Personal

This post I've been meaning to write for a long time but I have never really had the courage to talk about it. I don't even know who will read this, so this post is mostly for me.

Depression is a very real and serious disease.  I have it.  I have lived with it now, diagnosed, for 3 years.  The road to my diagnosis was rough. It was my jr year in high school, I was just cast in my first musical of high school. I was so excited. I was also taking really hard classes that year. I was really struggling grade wise.  I soon found out that I would have to drop the musical and my theatre classes, because I was struggling in my other classes. I had a really hard time grasping the fact that I was losing something I was really looking forward to.

From that point, the depression just got worse. I didn't want to talk to anyone or hang out with any one. I actually avoided walking past the drama room doors. I felt ashamed and guilty.

At this point, I was diagnosed and going to counseling. I still struggled with the disease even though I was on medication and working with a therapist.

Eventually the meds started working and helped me so much.

Today I still struggle, in fact, yesterday I was in such "pain" that I couldn't finish my list of to-do's and I had to go  to bed because I couldn't deal with the disease.

It is a very REAL thing. Please be compassionate toward those who are struggling. They need your friendship and not a fake friendship, a REAL one.

For those who have it, I love you and feel your pain.

If you don't think depression is pain, it is. It feels like dementors are real and are sucking out your soul. You feel lifeless.

I know that if I did not have this, I wouldn't be the person I am. By going to counseling, and working through this daily battle, I wouldn't be able to stand up for myself and recognize my other faults.

Please be kind and understanding of those around you.

Be Brave.

Chandler

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much, Chandi. I hope you know that. You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete